How does a car battery work? And why do they fail in Cold Weather?
The batteries are able to supply the current as they are totally reliable on chemical reactions. During the cold weather, these reactions slow down and then the batteries reach a point where they cannot deliver enough current to keep up with the demand.
Do you know that cold batteries discharge faster than the warmer ones? If you are thinking of storing a car battery, then it is advised that you must store all the unused batteries in a cool location. The other thing which you should do is to bring it to a normal temperature before you start installing it and fire it up.
How often should you test your Car Battery?
If your vehicle is not starting properly, then you must get your car battery checked today itself. Whenever you take your car to the mechanic for routine maintenance, such as an oil exchange, and then get your car’s battery checked as well. Many of the shops do this thing for free, so make it a point to ask them whenever you visit them.
How often should a Battery be replaced?
The life of the car batteries is about 3-5 years. Keep this thing in mind that you must get your car battery checked up periodically so that you are not left all alone in an inconvenient place. If a service advisor or some other automotive technician is recommending you to replace your car battery, then you must double check before approving it.
What should you do when you have a Dead Battery?
If you have come across a dead battery, then there are some options:-
- Call for Roadside Assistance.
If you are alone and there are no jumper cables, then you have the option to call for roadside assistance.
- Break out the jumper cables and get started.
- Pull the vehicle which is working next to yours, this is done so that both the batteries are within reach of your jumper cables.
- Turn off both the automobiles.
- Connect the positive cable which is of red colour to dead car’s positive terminal, then Red to the donor car’s positive terminal.
- Connect the black clamp which is negative to the battery’s negative terminal on donor’s car. Now connect the other black clamp to ground point on the donor car’s engine.
- Now let both the cars charge for a couple of minutes. Then fire up the donor’s car for few minutes. Then start the previously dead car and wait for another couple of minutes. You can also drive it for some time to ensure that the car battery has been fully recovered.
If you are willing to change your car parts all by yourself and want to buy new ones, then all you have to do is to visit our online auto parts store – https://partsavatar.ca/. We care for our customers and that’s why we offer the best quality of products at affordable prices.